[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] DC Resonant Charging Reactor Questions [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] DC Resonant Charging Reactor Questions

Dear Group,
I have a few blown up MOTs that I want to convert to charging reactors for
a DC Tesla coil.

I have read that the design usually employs a smoothed DC power supply or 3
phase full wave supply.

I wonder if it will work with a half wave doubled MOT power supply? I am
thinking that the magnetic field will collapse and cause a high voltage
pulse when the half wave dc pulse turns off.

Furthermore will only using a E core of a MOT with 2 secondaries in series
or parallel on the same core work or will the core saturate?

Finally to overcome the ripply current problems could I use a IGBT driver
to run the primary of a MOT at a higher frequency?  I have 450v 2300uf
electrolytic caps and a few IGBTs from a 3 phase DC power supply. What kind
of driver would be recommended and what would be the max frequency of a MOT
core.

This is all for a thyratron tc I am in the process of building I have been
advised a charging reactor will be the best PSU. I am going to use a bps
rate of 600 to 1000 which is the max my TGI3 325/16 tubes can handle.

Cheers!
-Wilyarti Howard