[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Gate Drive Voltage [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Gate Drive Voltage

Dorian,

We are talking about the peak voltage being 24V, so the peak-to-peak when
using a GDT would be 48V.  The gates are typically rated for at least 20V,
but some manufacturers spec up to 30V.  The actual breakdown voltage is
quite a bit higher (at least 40V), but its essential to protect the gates
with a bidirectional TVS diode (1.5KE27CA for example).

If you run the gate voltage too low, the conduction isnt as strong so the
IGBT will run hotter.  Collector current capability is a function of gate
voltage, so if you try to run too much current for a given gate voltage,
the junction "de-saturates" and goes into a linear mode where the voltage
drop and current are both very high.  The resulting power dissipation is
enough to overheat and blow the junctions within micro-seconds.  Driving
the gates beyond the typical 15V range gives some headroom in terms of
current conduction capacity.  I once pulsed a "300A" IGBT brick to 5200A
using 36V gate voltage... a little bit higher current caused it to fail.

Steve