[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] FW: Charging Inductor construction choices- Plain text sorry. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] FW: Charging Inductor construction choices- Plain text sorry.

Jim,
What you want to do is perfectly feasible, and is something that I will be
doing myself shortly in connection with a big DC coil project.
Only yesterday I was watching the video from 'RogerInOhio' showing his
inductor build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-tEBkAbEms&list=UULBfVcp-QpjmET3ecVIP1Zw ,
and he achieved a higher inductance value than what you require, but on a
smaller core size.
I have already wound both a DIY mini-pig and an inductor before, the
mini-pig being under oil, while the inductor was for my LV ballast, so
insulation was not such an issue with the latter. But regardless of whether
you will be using oil, I would now advise using the correct HV tape between
layers, which is what I will be doing next time, and also if possible using
a lathe rather than turning by hand.
I fortunately have a lathe (so in case you do) my method was that I made
formers up (from Tufnol sheet) that were a sliding fit over the actual metal
core. I then made a wooden block the same size as the metal core and gripped
this in the lathe chuck.  The earlier Tufnol former I had made then slipped
over the wooden block held in the lathe. Once wound, you then slip the whole
former complete with its newly wound windings off the wooden block, and
slide it onto the actual transformer core.
A good method is to try and use the automatic feed of the lathe to space the
winding automatically. It does need some careful maths, but if you know from
the chosen wire diameter, that you would get [say] 100 turns a layer, then
work out the nearest feed rate of the lathe that will supply that figure
(wire diam' = per turn of screw). Then if necessary even by choosing a wire
diameter next size up or down, it #may# be possible to get a fairly close
match.
If you feed the wire through a makeshift holder attached to the top slide,
it's possible to tweak the slide's position whilst running to compensate for
any discrepancy in the ratios, a technique I have used successfully when
winding an 8 inch coil.

Video of my winding here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTqRahADgds
(This was on the LV side, so brown paper and varnish sufficed)

Phil