[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Choosing the right toroid [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Choosing the right toroid

John Freu came up with the formula based on his experiments if memory
serves.  He said that 0.5 SQRT watts gave many smaller but full looking
streamers, and 0.9 SQRT watts gave a single huge streamer.  Going larger
than that required a breakout point.  I'm hoping he will chime in so I
don't accidentally twist his words.  In any event I've found it to hold
true for all of my coils also, but I've only built three distinct coils so
far (many revisions, but only three ground up systems)...  It also sort of
matches Peter Terren's 6-in coil, which I always considered to be a great
medium system.  The better looking ones in my opinion always did have tiny
looking secondaries and huge top-loads, they just look more powerful that
way.  In my opinion, to each his own...

Scott Bogard.