[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Homemade Glass Art Work Above Tesla Coil [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Homemade Glass Art Work Above Tesla Coil

Good ideas, I will look for a neon tube person.
Thanks,

On 6/8/2014 5:33 PM, Carl wrote:
Good suggestions. When you use any of these, they should be in safety sleeves (fluorescents) or wrapped with transparent tape (neon) to contain shards in case they break. Electrice used a neon tube in her famous Electric Kiss, holding the ends in her and her assistant's mouths. Needless to say, this needs excellent breakage protection. Some type of tough, clear coating polymer would be good, but we haven't found one yet. We've only broken one, and two layers of clear 2" wide tape confined the pieces. Still, it would be good if someone found something better.

Find Electrice at TCBA News, Vol. 6, #1, page 13. It's worth the search. Compared to Electrice, we're all a bunch of pikers.

---Carl

-----Original Message----- From: Tedd Payne
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2014 12:48 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Homemade Glass Art Work Above Tesla Coil

One option is neon tubing, either existing pieces you find, or have someone
make up custom pieces.  The colors produced will depend on the gas fill
used, and/or the phosphors used on the inside of the glass.

You could also try the plasma globes found online and in novelty stores.

Geissler tubes and spectrum tubes will also light up, but would probably be
more expensive.

My guess is that having a metal electrode which passes from the inside to
the outside of the tube is not essential, but will make it light up more
easily, especially if grounded.

Tedd
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim" <electrical@xxxxxxxxxxxx>