[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Rescuing and loosing 2 Kinraide Coils and 16-plate Static Machine... [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Rescuing and loosing 2 Kinraide Coils and 16-plate Static Machine...

Hi Dave,
The Kinraide Coil only ran at about 200 watts.  The gap functions without the jug of water, but becomes unsteady if run for extended periods...must remember in the early days some X-Rays could have taken 5 minutes or more.  (With other apparatus it could have been 15 or 20, which is why the K Coil was popular...well, that and it was not expensive comparatively to induction coils).
Original versions of the gap had water cooling pipes running to both plates, but to simplify things for ease of manufacture just a jug of water was used.
The original space where these machines were manufactured was a 8 x 10 foot room, later a 10 x 10 foot room.
In the later Strong gap two cans of water with silver spark gap contacts were used.  The biggest problem Kinraide faced was to get copper plates 6" diameter that were not warped.  He milled them flat (with a horizontal milling machine) but even still to get two disks perfectly flat and a nice finish on copper is not easy.  On the original the disks they were scraped using a metal file - you can see the file marks to try and make them flat.  Later on he developed a milling machine cutter that had an oiled-brush to remove chips and prevent the milled particles from rewelding themselves along the plate creating an irregular surface.   When I repaired the AC coil I needed to make the copper disks and faced similar issues.  I waterjet cut circles and scraped them with a bastard file to achieve a smooth surface.  I tried my best anyhow...
You can see pics here:
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2011/Kinraide_Coil_Restoration/SparkGap/index.htm

Before I saw an original gap in 2008 I made some guesstimates and created two for myself and Frank Jones.  I wasn't too far off...
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2008/ElectricalSparkGap/index.htm
6061 Aluminum works like crap though.  I later faced them with copper, which is in the HD video.  It works better, but if the planes aren't parallel they arc and fizzle.

Interesting that a few originals were made with aluminum which was really expensive then.  Harvard has a Kinraide Coil with an aluminum gap...or at least they did at one time.
http://dssmhi1.fas.harvard.edu/eMuseumMedia/eMuseumpostagestamps/F007157_pro.jpg
http://dssmhi1.fas.harvard.edu/eMuseumMedia/eMuseumFull/A001693/
http://dssmhi1.fas.harvard.edu/eMuseumMedia/eMuseumFull/F007157_pro/

Funny that Kinraide's most famous machines, the Kinraide and Jackson coils had such odd specs.  One ran from a 900V transformer and the other a 30kVAC transformer.  Extreme tank circuits and extremely interesting sparks.

Jeff