[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Bucket Cap vs. MMC [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Bucket Cap vs. MMC

On 3/9/14 12:55 PM, Tyler Burns wrote:
Essentially, the question is, which (Bucket Cap or MMC or something
else?) do you recommend keeping cost, efficiency, longevity etc.
(basically "all things considered")?

Bucket cap:
Cheap, big, heavy, spills

MMC
costs more, small, compact, higher performance

If you recommend the MMC, could
you suggest a type and place to purchase? I don't understand what
makes a capacitor workable for a Tesla Coil. Do they have cycle
ratings?

The critical ratings are
peak voltage -> exceed this and the cap dies
current handling -> exceed this and the cap gets too hot

Bucket caps don't have "ratings" per se.. you run them until they fail, and then replace the parts that broke.

I know how to calculate the total capacitance of an
electrically connected set of capacitors, but how much total
capacitance do I need?

Run a program like JavaTC to figure out how much C you need for your transformer and size of coil.

Typical Cpri will be something like 0.015 uF (15 nF)... which is conveniently the capacitance of 10 capacitors in series, each 2kV 0.15uF. That series combination is good for 20kV, which is about what the peak voltage from a 15kV NSAT is.