[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Bucket Cap vs. MMC [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Bucket Cap vs. MMC

The Geek Group made a full instructional bucket cap assembly videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjqKcRQB3RI
As well as this video which helps one calculate how many caps in an MMC a tesla coil would needhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX-4IU_lCQs
They also posted a video a few years back about MMCs in general.
Either way it is one of the more dangerous parts of a coil when in operation and even afterwards it can hold lethal charge.  Brush up on the HV safety tips before charging the tank/primary cap either way.
From personal experience I did have a cornel-dublier MMC cap like thishttp://www.cde.com/catalogs/942C.pdfnear a flyback coil that was running maybe 5 minutes, and that one cap of 1500 or 2kv picked up enough charge from being near the flyback spark that when i picked up the cap with one lead in each hand OUCH!  It HURT like a sun of a gun and I felt like crap for a few hours... so yeah, always caution with those, use a chicken stick and even take a CPR class with your HV buddy if you can, just in case.

Brian Hall