[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] I think I fixed it ;^) [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] I think I fixed it ;^)

Hi Adam,

Yes, I am still using the same treadmill motor. Like I had mentioned
previously, I had changed up the 120 volt wiring for the RSG motor
strictly for an asthetic upgrade, but had left the electrical layot iden-
tical, EXCEPT, I had started grounding the exterior metal case of
the FWB brick. That was obviously a big NO-NO, as the FWB
was promptly destroyed as a dead short within seconds of engaging
the spark show from my coil. And since I was trying to fire it for
a small audience of middle school children, I tried to "push" it even
though I could quickly tell something was seriously wrong, when it
initially happened. As a matter of fact, I ended up actually catching
the 10 amp, 120 volt rated RSG control variac on fire! Thankfully,
those 35 or 50 amp, 1 kV rated FWBs bricks are relatively cheap
and readily available on eBay, because I ended up smoking a couple
of more before finally figuring out the grounding issue. Also, thankful-
ly, I had a spare 10 amp, 120/140 volt rated variac that was just
about identical to the flamed one, including an identical mounting foot
print, so no messing up my control panel face with additional holes :^)

Lesson learned: NEVER make any modifications to your known
working coil and then try to display it in action for civilian observers
without giving her a SPARKING "test drive", as the FWB and mo-
tor would run fine all day with NO sparks after my modification!

David