[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] I think I fixed it ;^) [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] I think I fixed it ;^)

Scott,

Its taken years of "learning" to avoid the very same problem David is
having.

The problem is simply this, your RF ground is bouncing by many kV relative
to other power supplies or line voltage.  This stresses the insulation
between diode and heatsink until it blows up.... David knows this now :-).

For DRSSTCs its common practice now to use "RF bypass" capacitors between
the power bus and "ground" so that there cannot be large transient
potential that stresses the silicon isolation.  Being initially clueless
about this issue explains a lot of my IGBT grave yard
:-).  So it really comes down to using pretty standard EMI suppression
techniques to avoid blowing things up around tesla coils.

Steve