[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Bifilar Coils [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Bifilar Coils

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 7:22 AM, t-burns14 <t-burns14@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Have any of you wound bifilar coils? What is the difference in performance?

Bifilar coils effectively increase the wire diameter by two. The difference
is a higher current, lower potential output at the top load. The streamers
are brighter, thicker, and snappier.

Now that I think about it, It also seems to add an extra dimension to the
resonance in the secondary. Instead of having a single conductor in
resonance, there are now two conductors in resonance.

I haven't tried it on my bifilar and trifilar coils, but it seems that
putting a capacitor in line with one of the wires could have a unique
effect. For example, causing the second wire to be 90 degrees or 180
degrees out of phase with the first would probably change the streamer
pattern in an unusual way.

Dave