[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Air compressor quenching [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Air compressor quenching

Hi Jim,

At the risk of drifting OT, I must jump in here and ask how you are able obtain 180 L of LN2 for ~$70 when I was locally quoted around ~$4.75/L a couple of years ago! I happen to own a 111 L cryogenic container (not a pressurized dewar, just a bio-specimen preserving cryo storage tank, with the non-sealing styrofoam lid -- retails new for ~$3500 -- eBay special ~$200, including S&H) and I was trying to locate a local supplier of LN2 (just to have a little cryogenic fun) and received this "shocking" price quote from a local welding supply jobber! Maybe I should've "shopped around" a bit more, but I found that most industrial cryogenic liquid suppliers in my locale were geared toward  tanker truck quantity purchases of the cold stuff, and were only set up to dispense it into a sealed, pressure dewar tank. The only supplier that could accommodate my non-pressurized storage dewar to dispense LN2 by the liter was the welding supply that was asking nearly
 $5/L! Needless to say, I quickly abandoned the idea of purchasing 50-100 L (@ ~$5/L) of LN2 just to "have fun with", but I still have that 111 L storage dewar sitting around ;^/

David

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 9:07 AM, Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11/7/14, 5:12 PM, John Cooper wrote:
> I have all the nitrogen I want at work through piping and hoses.  But no
> idea where you would find some and if bottled how long would it last?

A standard K sized bottle holds about 220 cubic feet of N2 (at room temp
and pressure). A T bottle holds about 300 cubic feet.  A T bottle is
about $8/fill plus the rent on the bottle which is about 8-10 cents/day.

If you need more, the usual solution is to use LN2.  There are low
(22psi) and high pressure (230 psi) dewars available. A 180 liter fill
is about $70, but the tank is a lot more expensive to rent.  180 liters
is about 4100 standard cubic feet.  You'll lose a small amount to
evaporation each day (<1%)