[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Finished: New 600bps Rotary, Power Controller + Variac for DC resonant charging TC [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Finished: New 600bps Rotary, Power Controller + Variac for DC resonant charging TC

Stefan,
Yes the gap thing has always puzzled me. Although whatever gap you do set,
the spark will have to jump that as a very minimum, the extra distance added
onto to that obviously being determined by just when it does fire.
I run a SRSG at 200 which allows a very distinctive sound when the phase is
just right, and I always know when the gaps are opening up as the sound
alters and performance drops off.
I have a weekend long event coming up this Saturday, and by the Saturday
night the gaps will need adjusting.

On a side note to anyone thinking of using some of the Tungsten / Copper
alloy rod for electrodes (I do for my statics  - 3/8 inch) it ablates much
quicker than Tungsten electrode rod. It does though machine and cut like
Aluminium but is brittle if you drop out.

Be interested in your DC coil adventure, myself and a fellow UK coiler
seriously looked at a big DC coil, but without 3 phase power, the amount of
smoothing caps needed, made cost too big an issue. The reactor we had
planned on winding ourselves: purchasing suitably sized laminations.

Phil