From: Tesla [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Futuret via Tesla
Sent: 21 October 2014 16:12
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TCML] Number of stationary electrodes & gap spacing in RSG

Kevin uses 2 spinning electrodes for 120 bps and a 5 HP motor.  I think
he uses an electrical phase controller.

I agree on the "over-quenching" issue that you basically can't get
over-quenching with a rotary spark gap.  If the TC loses power with
too many gaps, etc, then either the gaps are too hot, ruining the
quenching, or in many cases the spark has trouble firing across
so many gaps and fires only sporadically giving an uneven weak
streamer output.  As the streamers get longer, stronger and more
numerous, the quenching will improve, almost regardless of the
gap situation.  Basically you want to use up the energy by
producing big streamers, then there's less energy to feed back to the
primary and prolong the tank oscillations, and delay the quenching.

Theoretically speaking, with a super huge low frequency coil and
super fast rotary, perhaps the quench could be forced to some
degree.  Grey Leyh's Electrum coil may have been approaching this
situation.  It's a matter of mechanical dwell time versus optimal
quench time for 1st notch quenching (first full energy transfer to
the secondary).

John