 From: David Speck <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 1, 2014 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] NIST High Voltage Laboratory Testing / Safety Reference

Bob,

Glad to help.  Feel free to ask any more questions you might have.

There are several photos of a semi trailer full of pole pigs in Yurtle's
photo set, but it was not clear to me that he was actually going to use
one of those in his setup.

Upon closer inspection, I see a label of "25" on one of them at the
lower left side of the trailer, indicating a probable 25 KVA rating.  A
200 amp household utility service at 240 VAC could theoretically provide
24 KVA at the maximum rating, but you would need a really big Variac,
power control system, and inductive ballast to use one of those at its
full power rating.

You can certainly use a pole transformer at less than its max ratings,
and can actually push them to 50% or even 100% over their nameplate
ratings for a short time.  Only problem is that a transformer of this
size probably weighs 500# - 700#, so wrangling it becomes a problem.
You wouldn't want to drop one of those on your foot.

Dave