[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil parameters list like Tesla Map software (i.e. spark length, secondary height, # of NSTs)? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil parameters list like Tesla Map software (i.e. spark length, secondary height, # of NSTs)?

John,

I see what you mean with the formula 1.7 * sqrt NST power. I'm only getting
about 50-65% of that meaning at 1850W I get 3-4' sparks and should get
closer to 6'

I am using a 20A 0-130vac variac that actual gives up to 145 vac measured.
It is when I turn this up bast 120vac on the dial I get closer to 4' sparks
- BUT then I'm blowing 20A fuses in the variac.

Using your toroid formula:

toroid diameter (inches) = 0.5*sqrt input power (watts)

means with 1850W I should only use 21.5" and I have 6"x25" so that's close.
However, If I move up to an 8" diameter aluminum dryer ducting (with 17.75"
center) that will be almost 34". I keep reading Bigger is best but it
sounds like it may not be here.

Thoughts?

Tim