[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Inductive Ballast for MOT Power Supply [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Inductive Ballast for MOT Power Supply

Hi Stefan et al

I have not performed the measurements you describe. I have measured the leakage inductance in the past and it is very important and significant with magnetically shunted MOT's. All MOT's are mag shunted originally and operated at resonance in most MWO circuits I think, hence the specific value of the capacitor in the MWO.

From memory I recall it was some 6Hy/MOT which will impact, naturally transformed into a lower value in the primary. In AC designs with multiple MOT's there is resonance potential at mains frequencies with big values of Cp IMHO.

I am unsure what you may be meaning about their "strayfield" properties and how this could be a problem. You may be referring to the leakage inductance, this has been somewhat overlooked IMHO when trying to use secondary capacitive current limiting in standard AC designs. The effect of that leakage inductance when trying to deliver short current pulses into DC filters is also an aspect I do not fully understand but believe it will tend to severely limit the ability of a MOT stack to deliver short current pulses at the peak of the AC cycle when charging capacitors and this may be a factor in your regulation.

I did once place a purely capacitive load on an unmodified MOT and progressively increased it to look for resonant rise. Forgotten the exact figures but it did exhibit a low Q resonance at the expected value of secondary C. I also did careful measurements to find out the saturation effects of DC flowing in the secondary to use them as inductors and found it was dramatic and gapping to about 0.3mm was essential in maintaining Lsec under DC conditions and with that gap L holds up well for Idc in the secondary of 0.5A. The value of Lsec drops like a stone in an un-gapped MOT. A few hundred mA DC has a major impact.

I de-shunted most of the MOT's in my 6 MOT pack which seems to me to be appropriate since I do not need the current limiting or resonance feature they provide thinking that leakage inductance just gets in the way of regulation and peak performance.

Values in the DC Pi filter are 2uF /10Hy no DC in the core using a 4 MOT array/2uF . I did not consider stiffness in the primary AC supply to be particularly important. I am not surprised to read the DC voltage under load in your 3 phase system drops to 11kV it "feels" reasonable to me considering the design and MOT's used. If I had 3 phase a DC system using lots of MOT's would be the only way to go, sadly domestic 3 phase is not available to me in NZ.

I have assume your MOT's have their shunts IN. I would suggest getting a couple of similar MOT's and de-shunt one, then place a resistive load on them to see what the intrinsic regulation is under resistive load conditions. You may find it informative to progressively place a capacitive load on them to replicate my resonant rise checks.

Rgds
ted in NZ

-----Original Message----- From: Teslalabor