[Home][2015 Index] [TCML] Question for solid-staters [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Question for solid-staters

Greg, "father dest" et al-

On further reflection I've concluded that the only way to get more magnetic flux into a single secondary is to increase the applied voltage to a single (equivalent) primary coil.

In simulation, I take a single 120 KHz voltage source, apply it paralleled to 2 primaries of a 3-coil, 500 uH (each coil) transformer, and measure the secondary current. First, I set the primary:primary k = 1, the primary:secondary k = 1, the primary resistances to 10 ohms, and the secondary resistance to 1K ohm. I get ~30 mA p-p in the secondary.

Next I disconnect one of the primaries. I get ~30 mA again, as expected. The only effect of the two primaries in this case, in hardware (each having 377 ohms of reactance), would be cutting in half the effective primary impedance which, with a 1 k ohm secondary load, has negligible effect.

Next, I set primary:primary k to 0.5 andalso primary:secondary k to 0.5. That's what I'd overlooked before: when one attempts to reduce the primary:primary k, I think it's inevitable that the primary:secondary k will be reduced commensurately. I'll be pleased to stand corrected. The result here is ~21 mA p-p.

Finally, I set the primary:primary k to 0.2 while keeping the primary:secondary k at 0.5. Now I get ~27 mA p-p. And when I set primary:primary k to 0.1 leaving secondary k the same, I'm back to ~30 mA p-p. But that is, I think, an impossibility in hardware.

Clearly, placing twice (or 4x) the applied voltage across just 1of the primaries will be a trivial test: it will result in that much more secondary current. That's what I expect to do this time with the 4 driving modules.

Any objections/opinions?

Ken Herrick