Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 9:36 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] VDG pickups (was Ignition coil driver)

Doug,
    Looking at the triboelectric scale for Polyethylene its near the
-ve end, so contact with neoprene you will get a charge build up,
although that should be counteracted by a similar charge build up at the
other end, so the net gain would/should be zero.

I agree about the spark losses. I always thought they were negligible,
but now  I think of it they could be quite large, especially if the gap
from belt to collector is large. But the resistance of the sheet must be
quite large, so I would expect losses there too.

I can see how these would work for the neutralisers in a Wimshurst, but
not for the collectors in either machine, as they are to collect surface
charge, pushed out towards the collectors by the opposing charge on the
roller or other plate of the Wimshurst and not in full contact.

Do you use the film for both collectors and neutralisers  in your
wimshurst? Are they both in full contact with the disks

    Derek