[Home][2015 Index] [TCML] 10KVA Oil Cooled Gap Coil... [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] 10KVA Oil Cooled Gap Coil...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDGPuFN2ujU

Early testing phases of this... some may remember the pics from ages ago.  Finally have an indoor place to work on it!
Lots of updates on Facebook, thanks to Bert Hickman and Steve Conner for comments and advice here and there...

Discharges currently 8 feet, power consumption 50A at 240V.  I think the KVA should be more around 15 than 10...
Oil cooled gap works great, the oil temp rises to only about 135 or 140 degrees F after a few hours of testing several minutes at a time...
Had to loosen coupling of the original primary, and still might loosen it some more.  No signs of corona on primary coil or even at the top of the secondary
coil (I am glad of that!) and the discharges are fairly hot and mean.  The 4 ft toroid and tall coil look great but in reality are perhaps a bit too big...the good news
I am sure this gap will handle 15 KVA if I feed it that...and I think it needs it...

Happy that no static charge or signs of breakdown anywhere on the secondary coil.  Even no corona anywhere near the windings, the big corona shield on top
perhaps helping with that ;)

Advice and comments welcome.  And yes, Iceland will be 25. Jan - 31. Jan...  I guess us coilers haven't infested that country yet... hmmm......
Jeff