[Home][2015 Index] [TCML] vfd spikes and high current draw [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] vfd spikes and high current draw

I have finally got my tesla coil working and now I can start to
optimize it. My biggest problem is that the 3 phase power line that feeds
my srsg motor picks up transients and shuts down the 3 phase driver
board. I used a shielded cable but it's still too noisy. When I measure
between the 3 legs my meter shows an uncanny 120.0 volts each. So my
plan is to multiply 120 by root 2 which is about 170, buy 6 tvs diodes
at slightly more, say 172 volts, and wire them up with a load - a small
light bulb. This way, when spikes threaten my driver board, the diodes
will vent them through the light bulb and I can see it flashing. I plan to do this on both sides of the wire, next to the coil and inside my control box. Does
that sound reasonable?

I can still run my coil without the spark gap motor by turning
the disk to orient the electrodes into firing position and running it as
a static spark gap. I put a small fan for quenching on one side and I
get 4 foot sparks from my pair of 15kv/60ma nst's. The problem there is
that I'm pulling about 31 amps and that's not sustainable. My
transformers have 200 uf of power factor correcting caps and an rf filter. If I
clean up the motor line enough to spin the disk I'm hoping that I'll
pull a lot less current. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!