[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Dual identical FRANCE neon sign transformers (15000v 60mA each) in parallel [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

On 03/02/2015 11:18 AM, Timothy Gilmore wrote:
>> All that's left is capacitance as I'll probably need about 100 nF to keep
> the primary taping under 12 turns otherwise I'll need to add more copper
> tube windings on the primary. And finally some sort of a spark gap with fan
> and upgrade to something fancy later on.

I would suggest making your caps modular so that you can experiment with
using different values.  For instance, using two strings of 12 caps in
series (942C caps) yields about 25nF, so by adding or subtracting
modules in parallel, I can end up with 25nF, 50nF, 75nF, or 100nF
depending on what I am doing at the time.  You'll be changing the
primary capacitance anyway if you go from a static gap to a synchronized
rotary, so it would probably be easiest to plan from the get go.

Jon