From: David Speck <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11/24/2015  21:58  (GMT-06:00)
Subject: Re: [TCML] Recent variac problem.

Vincent,

What is the rating of the fuses you are using?  10 amps?

Are they slow blow or fast blow fuses?

Many old-school name brand variable autotransformers (Variac, Powerstat)
can handle double their rated nameplate current ratings for short runs
of 30 - 60 seconds without being damaged.  Can't say the same for some
of the cheap Asian imports, though.

A Variac is not the part of the circuit that provides current limiting.
That is established by the NSTs themselves.

If you want to run 4 NSTs simultaneously, you will need a Variac big
enough to provide the all current they require.

Adding power factor correction capacitors (PFC) to the transformer input
may help manage their current drain.

Dave