[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Pulse Capacitors [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Pulse Capacitors

Bert,
Thanks for the info. I reviewed what you and David Speck said in answer to Tim's inquiry about the 31xxx series GA/Maxwells that are only rated at 1 PPS and it seems that you are suggesting that most of these are not very suitable for Tesla use, and I would tend to mostly agree. However, I have acquired (4) each used surplus 31885 cat # .1 uFd, 75 kV rated Maxwells (4"x 6"x 19" single ended plastic case) several years ago, via eBay (one is currently being used as the main tank cap for my Green Monster coil - the other 3 are "spares"), and this cap seems darn-near indestructable for running my coil at 300 to 400 PPS with 14,400 volts from an overdriven 10 kVA rated pig, that's typically processing about 75 amps with about 200 to 220 volts input from the control variacs. I have never been able to detect any significant warmth after even a several minute run under these conditions. And I have come back a few minutes later to feel and see if some of the internal "warmth" finally reached the surface of the outer casing. Have you been able to gather any info about these 31885 cat # Maxwells?
Thanks,David