[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] meteringRe: Power factor correction [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] meteringRe: Power factor correction

Matthew.

Neither, actually.

The OP had a problem with his Variac and (3) NST main power supply blowing 20 amp fuses on powerup. This was probably due to excessive inrush current.

He thought that adding PFC caps might solve his problem. They probably would not. Several alternatives for a resistive inrush current limiter were suggested.

I suggested that he use a current transformer to measure the actual current in his power line circuit, as his DVM was not rated sufficiently to measure the current in the system.

Current transformers of the sort that I suggested do not have a high enough frequency response to measure primary or secondary currents. You need Pearson - type current transformers of high ratings to do that ($$$).

Dave