[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Off topic table saw question. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Off topic table saw question.

> I aquired a new job site table saw Bosch 4100 something with mount its
great
> for price but I'm having problems with miter alighment. Out of box the
blade
> was of 1/8 inch front to back which is simply unacceptable. I've followed
the
> Instructions to align this but when I retighten the bolts it reverts to
its old
> cappy 1/8 inch Out of alignment.

From what I have read, and working with my own ancient Craftsman table saw
(1950 era) I think this is a fairly common problem with less expensive
machines.

The first thing I would do is hit the internet and see what others have said
and done about this problem with your particular saw. If you decide to keep
the saw, it may be possible to "over adjust" the settings so that when you
do the final bolt tightening, the adjustment will drift back to where it
should be.  The question is will the adjustment stay put as the saw is used.
Another common complain I have heard is that some less expensive machines
have a tendency to drift out of adjustment almost immediately.

> So my question is, should I give up return the product and double up for a
> proper cabinet saw, or persist and widen those factory slots to get a
perfect
> measure

There's no doubt that the better ($$$$) saws will provide better accuracy
and more consistent quality of work than cheaper models. I have been looking
for a new saw, and so far have not found anything under a kilobuck that I
like. I think I'll let my daughter choose it for me (she has been bugging me
to get a new one so she can use it) since she will get more years of use
from it than I will.

If you have the funds, go with the cabinet saw. You'll never regret spending
the extra money when you look at the fine work it does, but you will
complain loudly about wasting your money on a cheap saw when it screws up a
choice piece of lumber on your precision project.

Best DX & 73,

Ralph  W5JGV - WD2XSH/7