[Home][2016 Index] Re: [TCML] Power Factor Correction [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Power Factor Correction

What happens when you don't use any? That capacitance has a reactance of around 6 ohms but depending on the instantaneous line voltage phase when you close the switch you might get a very high capacitor charging current. Won't happen with an NST alone, with or without capacitor on secondary.

Ed

On 12/4/2016 5:00 PM, wt5y wrote:
Same here when I parallel 3 12kv 60's sometimes blows fuses in variac. I use 10 50uf ac caps.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S5™, a Cricket 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Gary Lau <glau1024@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12/04/2016  17:54  (GMT-06:00)
Subject: Re: [TCML] Power Factor Correction

Indeed, my 15/60 NST  pulls over 20 Amps from the wall WITH PFC caps.
Having the PFC caps is the difference between tripping and not tripping the
breaker.  And while I've never attempted to measure it, I believe that the
line voltage applied to the NST primary is greater with the caps by virtue
of lower IR losses in the mains wiring.  More volts is more power to the
sparks!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA