Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2016 5:08 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] VDG belt materials

Doug,
    From what you have said it is likely to be a charging current of
40uA e.g about 40 on the 50uA scale. I'm guessing that the voltage
reading you were taking would be limited by this current anyway,
therefore the meter position would be the same.

    As long as the meter stays connected, it will be a virtual dead
short. This would be true of the DMM too. Just make sure the device is
discharged when connecting it and on a current scale. I use mine
regularly on my VDG (discharged and no topload) and haven't killed it yet.

    It is a very useful way of comparing setups and materials.

    Cheers
        Derek