[Home][2016 Index] Re: [TCML] question [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] question

On 2/5/2016 10:46 AM, miles waldron wrote:
if the diodes conduct in either direction, how does the meter even work?
Good question and something I should have mentioned. I was referring to the use of the diodes across typical panel meters, which usually have a maximum voltage drop of about 0.2 volts or less at full scale while the silicon rectifier diodes don't draw significant current until the voltage across them is greater than 0.5 volts. The result is that meter works normally but diodes conduct dangerously high currents. I typically use 1N4007's because I have scads of them but most any rectifier will work equally well.

Ed