[Home][2016 Index] Re: [TCML] Spark Gap Electrodes - Flat or Rounded [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Spark Gap Electrodes - Flat or Rounded

The zen that I followed when building my 15kv / 120ma was that the
critical discharge circuit must be 100% copper. I used copper plumbing
pipe because it's cheap and ubiquitous. See the pics at
https://teslafirma.shutterfly.com/

When the caps first discharge I wanted every amp possible flowing
through the primary. So there is not a single bit of tank circuit that
isn't copper. When I needed some copper washers I got some Canadian
pennies from before 1967 which are 99% copper and drilled holes in them.

I also theorized that the electromagnetic field around the primary is an
expanding and contracting torus. I wanted my caps to be as close as
possible to keep the connections short. If my caps were positioned in
concentric arcs then the primary field would cut across them and some
canceling out would occur. So I arranged my caps in radial lines. It's a
tiny thing I know but that's why some hot rods win and others come in
second.