Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 1:50 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Giant Variac For Sale

Each coil of this variac is fused at 50A, what was yours at? The makerplate
says 75kVA, and it's Staco....I believe them.

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 1:08 PM, Teslalabor <teslalabor@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

:-)))) Very funny. Yes, the small potentiometer knob is used to fine-tune
the regulation range, with this you only can change the output voltage in a
range of lets say 200-216 Volts.
I know this because I bought exactly such an unit like yours some years
ago for a big pile of money. I also thought "wow, very cool variac..."
The end of the story was, that there was only a very small (3-phase)
variac with some kVA's inside, which (when I remember corectly) controlled
in combination with another (small) 3 phase transformer the VERY big
3-phase load-transformer inside the housing. BTW, please don't ask me, how
this works...
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that your unit works in the same
way... At least you should take this into consideration instead of only
rely on size-comparisons with another variacs.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Boden" <cboden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 6:06 PM

The output is adjustable (it's the little knob under the meter) and has a
considerable range. I don't know it's full range as I haven't tested this
unit. We got them for the stacks, and then leapfrogged past them in our
upgrade cycle in building the new lab. That's why we're selling these.

The variac, pulled from the cabinet, will actually handle a 75kVA load
just fine. I know this because it's a slightly smaller version of the one
use every day in our High Voltage lab as our main power supply. There are dozens, if not hundreds of videos of my demonstrating it's use in front of thousands of people. You yourself are welcome to come here and measure the
output capacity and compare it yourself. Of course I suggest you bring a
NIST traceable, calibrated measurement set. If you wish to do this, I
would
be happy to provide a complete camera crew and live audience to publish
your results if you have any doubt as to the veracity of my claims.

It's only a voltage regulator if you keep it intact and use it as such.
Anyone interested on here would likely autopsy it for its component
pieces.
The transformer inside, aside from being "damn big" I know nothing about.
Though it would make one hell of a boat anchor or a great core for a
reactive ballast.

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 11:25 AM, Teslalabor <teslalabor@xxxxxxxxxxx>