[Home][2016 Index] Re: [TCML] solid state tesla coil question [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] solid state tesla coil question

   Hi Bud,

it is difficult to create a large current in a low C and high L primary tank.
Power input from the bridge is proportional to primary current (and primary voltage)
so a small current won't transfer much energy into the primary.

Say, you are running the coil at the minibrutes typical frequency of about 160kHz
and want a current of say, 500A, also typical for this coil. The voltage on the
primary 5nF cap is then I/(2*pi*f*C) or about 100kV(!).

Aside from the cap spec, the 100kV value is important, since it tells you how
long the burst must last to ramp up to this value. Theoretically you can gain
a bridge voltage swing (i.e. 400V from -200V to 200V) for each switch
of the bridge. The time to ramp up until 100kV is thus 250 half cycles or
about 750us. This is the absolute minimal time since it disregards any losses
in the primary by resistances in the primary windings and the primary cap and also
the energy transferred to the secondary. Typically bursts should be at least twice as
long as this estimate.

Another issue is the primary copper loss resistance. For a low primary C you need
a large primary L, i.e. many turns. In my minibrute using a 100nF primary cap and about
7 primary turns I measured a primary loss resistance of about 0.2 ohms. This implies, that
at 500A currents I loose about a 100V of my 200V bus voltage alone by this. I'd need
about 30 turns for a 5nF primary cap making a primary current of 500A impossible.

When using long bursts a third problem arises: The bus electrolytics will be depleted
considerably, so you primary voltage will drop.

Generally I think it is not a bad idea to try out small caps for a DRSSTC. A 5nF cap at
100kV will hold an energy of 25J. A 0.2uF cap at 2.5kV (calculated from a 500A primary
current) will hold just 0.6J. Using a 5nF cap is pushing that idea to the extreme
and requires very long bursts together with a considerable effort keeping
primary loss resistances low.

Udo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Buds mohrstamping mail" <bud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>