[Home][2016 Index] Re: [TCML] Coiling tips & tricks? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Coiling tips & tricks?

On 9/5/16 9:07 AM, Soretna wrote:
What have been the easiest / most efficient ways you have found to make
coils of varying sizes?

Assuming you're talking about winding secondaries..
For small (up to a 4" in diameter) I think hand winding is simplest. Get a bunch of pieces of tape to tack the end of the winding down as you move along, and need to stop. A few hours to wind 1000 turns.

After that, an variable speed electric drill in one hand, wire in the other. A long piece of threaded rod down the middle. For this, if you're winding on PVC pipe, get a couple appropriate sized end caps, drill them in the center for the axle, and then just wind.

I've done one coil on a lathe.. it was not fun, because starting and stopping is hard.

If I were winding a big coil, some sort of foot switch controlled motor would be ok.