[Home][2016 Index] [TCML] VTTC Primary [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] VTTC Primary

Hi All,

I’m building my first Tesla coil, a VTTC based on an 813 pentode tube I found recently. I’m using a 3.125” diameter form for the secondary, with 15” length of 28 AWG wire turns, and a 6” diameter stainless steel ball as top load.  Having a lot of fun researching and planning my design.

A question for the group:  All fotos and plans for such coils I’ve seen use a cylindrical primary coil. Most of the literature I’ve found claims - usually in reference to SGTCs -  that pancake or inverted cone shapes are better.  I want this to be also a bit of an “art project” and not just engineering, and I do like the look of the conic coils best. Is there any reason why a cylindrical primary might be a better choice for a VTTC?  I don’t want to make an inferior coil just because of wanting it to look artsy.

Thanks

	—Guillermo