[Home][2016 Index] Re: [TCML] TESLA COIL EMI or RFI [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] TESLA COIL EMI or RFI

I don’t know what sort of regulation generators of various scales use, but I have seen and experienced generators at two sizes (5kW and also 40kW large trailer industrial) exhibiting apparent high sensitivity to conducted EMI/RFI on the power supply conductor.

IOW: the analog meters showed voltage sag on the input when the coil started emitting,
but not necessarily from just pre-breakout loading of the primary cap.

 Situations in both cases were dramatically improved by using shielded power leads between the generator and power supply, and heavy duty LC pi network power lead filters. Shielding grounded at the generator end, isolated from the TC supply.

The power line (well, most people’s) has no such cares about noise - mine would, if I were capable of running my coil on my own property, because I now have TVSS’s on the breaker panel and meter base.

 I think it’s good sense to include massive power line filtration in the TC supply to protect - at least from conducted emissions - upstream things like refrigerators, consumer electronics, computers, etc. the share the same breaker panel.

 - G.