[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] RSG grounding [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] RSG grounding

Hi Steve,

Yes - very definitive thoughts!  The RF ground should not be connected to
anything that doesn't have bullet-proof high voltage insulation to the
mains.  Despite the connection to what is hoped to be an absolute ground,
there exists very high voltage transients on the RF ground node, relative
to the mains and everything else not in the TC circuitry, particularly when
there's a streamer connection to the RF ground. I've never heard of any
discussion on how to measure the RF impedance of an RF ground, but I
suspect it's pretty high.  I once fried a lamp dimmer used to throttle
power to a blower for my spark gap, and I had the metal case tied to RF
ground.  It's understandable to want to protect the motor from a strike - I
would recommend doing that with an RF-grounded target between the motor and
the likely direction of incoming streamers.  Let the motor case just float.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Virus-free.
www.avg.com