[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] Electrode erosion [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Electrode erosion

Steve,

I don't really know for sure if the little fins work #that# well, but they must aid cooling a bit, however the main cooling comes from the (1.5" diam') solid copper posts that have fining on them. http://www.hvtesla.com/img/srsg-2015-2.jpg

There is of course a considerable draft created by the rotor itself, and I even admit to trying a 'nerdish' test where I injected smoke into the air path to see where it flowed and, on my coil at least, the posts received a considerable cooling air stream.

Phillip S literally has zero ablation on his terminals, and I believe this is down to the fact he uses pure Tungsten 'slugs', unlike welding (GIT) electrodes where the majority have trace elements added. The colour of the rod indicating the additive. (green is said to be 'pure') . I use a Copper/Tungsten mix for my fixed electrodes, and TIG welding electrodes (not pure) for the flying ones and I get bad ablation for the same power as Philip S uses (in fact we share the same pig power supply inc' ballast) most of the ablation being on the Copper/Tungsten mix electrodes. But unlike Philip S my electrodes are a bit undersized for the power used so that doesn't help matters.

Gapping can play a role as well I've found. I gap mine at 8 thou initially and these can wear to 12/15 thou, the wear accelerating the bigger the gap gets, also as the gap increases the phasing of the SRSG alters slightly a bit as well, meaning a small adjustment on the Frau phase controller. (I run 200bps where the sound of the coil - 2 firings per 1/2 power supply cycle, makes it easy to discern a slightly off-phase setting - something only 200bps allows) That's sounds a bit barmy and obsessive I know, but my aim is always to squeeze every last bit out.

Geez I've rattled on.............hope no-one is too many sucking eggs reading any of this ..........good coiling to you from the UK

--
Regards Phil www.hvtesla.com