[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] Low Power Coil Questions [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Low Power Coil Questions

I'm unaware of any formulaic derivation for the number of turns.  I think
it's strictly anecdotal reports of what is seen to work.

For the number of primary turns, when there are very few turns, the
inductance is low and that causes primary, and more importantly spark gap,
currents to go up.  Gap losses then go up.  At the upper extreme, lots of
primary turns become physically unwieldy.  For the primary on my 15/60
coil, I think I have it tapped at 17 turns, but it could go to 22 if need
be.  But to keep the size in check, I made it two-layers.

I'm not sure what the constraints on secondary turns are.  Anyone else?

Gary Lau
MA, USA