Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:39 PM
To: tesla list
Subject: Re: [TCML] MMC

Let me give this a shot,

You are essentially asking what cap value would give the best performance out of you 12/30 NST using what seems to be 3 series lengths of 15 caps arranged is either parallel 15x3 or series 45x1.

Doug,
Bart Anderson ( I am not sure if Bart was actually the originator, but ok) made a nice looking chart which proposes some efficient cap designs for MMC's, Specifically for the 942C20P15K (.150uF, 2kV) caps. Not sure if that is what you have, but your 2Kv .15u rating seems to imply that is it.

The chart is found here
http://tb3.com/tesla/capacitors/mmc_cap_chart.pdf

It is my understanding that the capacitance's do have some science behind their values which matches them to the desired NST values. I believe it relates to the ability to charge the cap to the fullest extent in ~ 4mS. The time it takes a 60Hz sine wave to go from 0 to its max value. (ie a quarter of the wavelength) at the current output of the NST. But it's a little different as you don't want to resonate with the NST (as it will damage the NST if you are not careful (note, don't use values from the 1st section of the chart)). Typically we shoot for a slightly higher capacitance, which means a slightly lower resonant frequency. This way even though the capacitor is not fully charged at least all the power from the transformer went into it. (imagine a smaller value, where the cap fills up too fast and then the transformer isn't sourcing current for that portion of the AC waveform because the cap is full, that's wasted power!!!)

Based on the chart,
If you have a static gap
I would stick with 1 string of 15 Series by 1 Parallel for a rating of 10nF and 30KV and have 2 extra sticks of 15 to boot! There used to be a nice set of plans produced by Resonant Research that did exactly this for a 12/30 NST, if i recall correctly. I havent seen these plans online in a while, but i'm sure you can find references in the TCML archives if you look.

If you really wanted to use all of your caps regardless of what the chart says, shoot for a slightly more durable MMC but close in value to what the chart recommends. I would disassemble your 3rd string into 5,5 and 1 sections and then add 5 to each of your 15 sticks and create a 22 series by 2 parallel MMC for a rating of 13.6nF at 44KV, not too shabby.
Its not all that far beyond 10nF.
(Remember the tesla coil is all about tuning, so you cant really have a wrong cap value, (unless you pick the resonant one, as discussed earlier), you simply adjust other coil parameters to make it work and go about your day) But is this kind of durability necessary on a 12/30. It couldn't hurt, but probably not.

If you have a rotary gap, (which is sort of the next level, so to speak)
I would disassemble your 3rd string a little and shoot for an 18 series by 2 parallel strings for a rating of 16.7nF at 36KV. As recommended by the chart.

I hope you find this informative.
-Jay