[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] 42" Sparks 12/30 - John Freau [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] 42" Sparks 12/30 - John Freau

Regarding primary "conventions" - I think that .25 copper tubing is used
because it's inexpensive, low resistance (losses), and is easy to quickly
move the tapping point.  The usual .25 space between windings is simply
what's the smallest reasonable pitch with the ability to still tap it
without shorting it.  I suspect that the losses between .25 tubing and 12
gauge wire would not be monumental, but experimentally tapping insulated
wire would be ugly and not electrically/mechanically robust.

A larger number of primary turns has nothing to do with power transfer.
More turns is more inductance.  More inductance means lower primary and
spark gap current, and lower gap current means lower gap losses.  I think
the upper limit of primary turns is probably the physical size of the
resulting coil.

A LOT of things change when going from a static gap to RSG, particularly
SRSG.  A much larger cap is necessary, and I cannot overstate the
importance of using a *properly* set safety gap in parallel with the RSG.
Unfortunately one can't go back and forth changing just the gap type
static/RSG, to see which performs better.  I would recommend that you
thoroughly get familiar with coiling with a static gap before undertaking
an RSG.  When I upgraded my 15/60 NST coil from static to SRSG, the NST and
Variac were the only things that did not change.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA