[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] 42" Sparks 12/30 - John Freau [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] 42" Sparks 12/30 - John Freau

Thanks, I use the knife switch for either power line ground, or an external earth ground.

I use a separate line cord for the sync rotary gap and the main TC power.  This
is because I run the main TC on a variac that goes up to 140VAC output.  That's
what helps it achieve 42" sparks.  I'm actually over-volting the NST some.

It's a lot of work to successfully unpot an NST.  And you have to be careful not
to destroy it.

The cap on the motor is a motor run cap, it stays in the motor circuit while
it's running.

I haven't done much work with MMC capacitors.

Are you sure your grinder is 1800 rpm and not 1725?  Usually they use

induction motors that run at 1725 or 1750 and they are not synchronous.
To get a sync motor, it has to say 1800 rpm on the spec plate.  There would
be no reason for a grinder mfr to use a sync motor since they're more
expensive and offer less torque.  However an induction motor can be
modified to make it synchronous by grinding 4 flats on the rotor to
create an 1800 rpm motor from a 1725 or 1750rpm motor.

John