[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] Utility PFC Caps [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Utility PFC Caps

Hi Tim,

These are modern stainless steel cased PFC capacitors with extended foil polypropylene film construction and biodegradable Edisol VI dielectric fluid. These would have the right kind of dielectric system for re-purposing for a large TC... but the capacitance of this particular model (7.68 uF) is much too high for your spark gap TC.

Even connecting all three caps in series will not get you into the appropriate capacitance range for a 14.4 kV PT-driven system (0.01 - 0.02 uF). Because of the lower power level available with a PT-powered system (versus a distribution transformer-powered system), it may not be possible to find a set of PFC caps that will have low enough capacitance to work with your setup, unless you tear them apart and reconfigure the capacitor rolls... :(

The trick will be finding PFC's with the LOWEST KVAR rating and the HIGHEST operating voltage. Newer capacitors tend to pack more capacitance in a smaller package, making the search more difficult with newer PFC caps. The caps you're looking for will typically be found as spares for substation banks or in higher-voltage (14.4 - 35 kV) distribution systems.

Bert

Tim Flood wrote:
Just so happens I found three such caps in our bone yard here at the
company.

They are: McGraw Edison PN CEP00132A006, 7200 Volts, 150 KVAR, 95 KV BIL.
Form 2, Type ES.

I have been looking for caps for a 1440 V potential transformer. How would
one of these work?

Thank you.

Tim