[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] Utility PFC Caps [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Utility PFC Caps

Hi David,

Thanks for the additional information - it was very useful. It turns out that the reason these caps didn't have a kVAR rating is that they aren't PFC capacitors. They're actually "surge capacitors" for high voltage motors! :)

Surge capacitors (usually in combination with surge arresters) are used to protect large electric motors (up to 25 kV!)from fast voltage transients. By slowing down the edges of voltage transients, they prevent excitation of high frequency parasitic resonances between various parts of the motor's windings. This is a damaging phenomenon also occurs within power transformers and reactors whenever fast rise time transients (typically from switching or lightning) are applied across a winding. The resulting overvoltages can weaken or puncture the winding insulation, leading to premature failure of the motor. Think low-pass filters for HUGE motors.

These caps can be easily redeployed for use in a large TC. Unlike HV PFC caps, which typically start at 50 kVAR, surge capacitors are in the right ballpark for big TC's. In the future, you might also want to look for GE 18L0010WH (0.125 uF at 24 kVAC)... :)

More details on your cap and others GE caps in the series can be found here:

https://www.gegridsolutions.com/products/brochures/capacitors/SurgeProtectionACMachinery-GEA274A.pdf

Great find, David!

Best wishes,

Bert

David Rieben wrote:
Hi Bert, (and Terry, if you're still following this thread),

Yes, I was rather pleasantly surprise to find that the more updated dielectric system of these types of caps renders their latent dissipation factor suitably low for the rapid cycle pulse discharge duty of being employed as the main tank cap of a large RSG/pole pig driven Tesla coil. I was also quite surprised to locate this type of cap in a relatively low capacitance, thus rendering their C within a suitable range for Tesla coil usage  in combo with an adequate ceiling voltage rating (13.8 kVAC). Locating more than one of these identical 0.25 uFd rated (single phase) units meant the possibility of seriesing just two to obtain 0.125 uFd @ a whopping 27.6 kVAC rating! Their GE model # is 9L18CCL101 (whatever that means) and the only drawback is the single bushing (w/casing ground). However, this minor caveat can easily be addressed by simply 'floating' their seriesed outer casings and using the two bushings as the inputs. Not that I really needed these, but considering the oft
 en fickle nature of availability of affordable capacitors of this caliber, I like to keep a good supply of suitable replacements in case the 0.1 uFd @ 75 kVFD Maxwell pulse cap that I am currently using in my big coil lets out its 'magic smoke' ;-))

I have two of these ~33 lb. beasts on their way to me now. They are used with no guarantee, but having no visible 'bulging' of the outer casing and having been simply removed from decommissioned switch gear in a fully operational environment, I figure the odds are pretty high that these beauties are still quite functional and well within their nameplate specs. The real kicker is that I will have <$150 in both of them, including S&H :-) Gotta love that!

Happy sparking,
David

Sent from my iPhone