Re: lifter power supply (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:18:42 -0600
From: Terrell W. Fritz <terrellf@xxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: lifter power supply (fwd)

Hi Matt,

>Hi All,
>       Yes, they are "real" - useful or practical propulsion is another
>matter. Using their numbers,  a power to weight ratio of ~2kW/kg or 1.2 hp/lb
>(gross vehicle weight),
>means that a self-contained lifter power system, (generator, transformer,
>rectifiers, fuel, etc.) capable of 10 KVA output would have to weigh less
>than 12
>pounds just to lift itself, with no payload

12 Volts at 2160A-s weighs 7.56 oz in batteries...

A small but powerful HV switching power supply could weigh 8 oz too...

The lifter body and some RC magic (they have inertial correction stuff for
RC helicopters to vastly aid stability.  But we could make our own better
ones...) may come in at 4 more oz...

So with a little calculation...  We have a 0.55kg machine that would need
1100 watts.  Assuming our power supply is 80% efficient we are eating about
1400 watts...  (battery current is enormous!!)

Our power source is 12 x 2160 = 26000 watt seconds...  So our lifter could
fly for 18 seconds...

A short flight, but might be real cool!!  The HV supply could be lighter in
that case since heat sink demands would be small for the power supply for
such a short duration.  The radio control could probably be light or one of
those real small kids RC toys that have super small electronics too.  I
think you need three control arrays (tripod idea) for stability.  Probably
a microprocessor thing too...  I guess we could do without the RC and just
have it's flight pre-programmed to make an "autonomous lifter".

Perhaps a stun gun could be modified for the power supply....  Sooner or
later, it will be done.  The only question is who and when!  There are no
great theoretical barriers.

It may be a pretty dangerous thing if it were to uncontrollably fly towards
a person!!  A flying 1400 Watt 30kV 50mA power supply out of control!!  =:O

>From here, the subject is perhaps best suited for the dedicated lifter list....

Cheers,

	Terry