Re: Water sparks (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 09:13:04 -0700
From: Sean Taylor <sean.s.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Water sparks (fwd)

Hi Terry,

I think our thought processes are almost exactly the same!  Just yesterday I
tried pure (tap) water rather than with salt that I had tried before, and
that alone increased the spark distance significantly.  I'm using a 0.188 uF
maxwell cap, and getting about 1.5" arcs from the center electrode.

I then decided to add an inductor (0.4 mH, air core - check out
http://www.madisound.com/3way.html for some really cheap small inductors),
for a resonance of about 18 kHz (please check my math . . . I'm drawing a
complete blank on rad/sec -> Hz for some reason).  There really wasn't a
huge noticable difference.  The arcs got a little bit "hairer" - i.e. they
branched out more, and got a little bit longer, but the RF envelope died out
fairly quickly, most likely because of the high resistance of the water
(need to get the scope out and the HV probe!)

Anyhow, I don't want to test this too extensively because of the huge
voltage reversal that these caps are most likely seeing when running with
the inductor (it's probably actually higher without the inductor, with much
higher frequency!), but I am going to be using two of these (in series) in a
pig powered coil, so maybe I shouldn't worry about it too much :-).

BTW - I originally had just a galvanized nail in the water, then later
switched to a copper plate directly below the terminal.  With the water
being relatively high resistance, it didn't seem to matter that much.
However, the hardware on the copper plate to hold the wire to it just
corroded over night, even though it was supposedly galvanized.  Probably had
to do with a small nick in the galvanization, or the fact that I had it
hooked up to copper, and that whole electrolysis thing and potential
difference thing happened between the zinc and copper!

Sean Taylor