RE: HVDC Power Re: Water sparks (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 07:36:30 -0700
From: brianb <brianb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'High Voltage list' <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: HVDC Power Re: Water sparks (fwd)

dwp/All,

Same thing out here in California. We have a plus/minus 500kvdc line which I
can see from my window. It's carrying 3200amps which allows it to deliver
3200-Megawatts. The lines are air insulated but the valve stacks in the two
converter stations (15 miles from here) are cooled and insulated by pure
water (their term). The water is continuously filtered, pumped and monitored
for purity. BTW-The valve stacks (inverters, gates, or whatever you want to
call them) are triggered by lasers via fiber optics and hung from the
ceiling so they move with earthquakes. Here are some pictures of the damaged
DC filter caps after the 1971 quake
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/hazard/slideset/20/20_405_slide.html

Regards,
Brian B.