RE: Cleansing Transformer Oil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:07:22 +1100
From: Thomas <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'High Voltage list' <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Cleansing Transformer Oil (fwd)

> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxx>

> Hi All,
>
> I have some transformer oil that I'd like to put to use. The problem
> is that it has been stored outside in questinable containers. I am
> planning to heat the oil above 212 degrees Fahrenheit with some
> water-heater elements to drive off any absorbed moisture. How might I
> test the oil to see when it is finished drying? Thanks for the input.
> Oh- this is for a 75 kv project.
>
> Gregory

The temperature should stay at 100°C (212°F) whilst the heating energy is
used to overcome the latent heat of vaporisation of the water. Then when all
the water is gone the temperature should begin to rise again.

However this probably wont be noticeable at very low concentrations of
water, but may be worth watching for.

Try testing a small sample.

Tom L.