RE: Cleansing Transformer Oil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:52:03 -0600
From: Godfrey Loudner <ggreen@xxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Cleansing Transformer Oil (fwd)

I believe you will have to get new oil or seek professional help in
cleansing. The professionals can clean up your oil in a matter of minutes.
Contact your local electric utility to find out who can do this in your
area. They can also check the dielectric strength of an oil sample. There's
a guy in Wisconsin who can sell you a full barrel of good transformer oil at
a reasonable price ( shipping is not reasonable). Perhaps you are in short
driving distance. If you wish I can put him in contact with your email
address. I had a problem with water condensing in the tank of an x-ray
transformer, due to leaving it in an enclosed porch area subject to wide
temperature variations. The tank is air tight, but I had left a screw vent
hole open. There was arcing from the bottom of the transformer to the bottom
of the tank. Because I ceased operation as soon as I noticed the problem,
the transformer was not damaged. Fortunately I had new oil on hand. The
transformer is  operating just find now. I also installed a heater at the
bottom of the tank to help drive off any more moisture condensation. It
seems like you sent me pictures of a big 75kv precipitator transformer once
( maybe it was someone else).

Godfrey Loudner