Re: Jacob's Ladder "Snap" (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:34:49 -0700
From: Gomez <gomez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Jacob's Ladder "Snap" (fwd)

[We're wandering a bit off the topic of high voltage here, but infrasonics
and ultrasonics can certainly cause damage, even if you can't "hear" them.
Hearing damage being a linear function of loudness over length of exposure
would also only apply within a certain range of intensities - outside the
range and it gets non-linear.  Softer, and you could listen forever
without a problem, louder, and you have immediate damage.  Dead is dead,
and nerve death is pretty much forever.  SRR]

On Thursday, December 18, 2003, at 03:24  PM, High Voltage list wrote:

> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxx>

  I wasn't talking about quidelines and regulations, I thought that was
patently
obvious.

  It's also contrary to what the medical community says about hearing &
exposure,
namely that hearing damage is a function of loudness over length of
exposure.

>> Can you cite a reference, or is this your opinion?
> Consider shock waves, etc.
> Consider a very large pressure pulse of enough amplitude to rupture
> your ear
> drum.

But shock waves which are capable of rupturing ear drums _sound_loud_.

>  Reference: Glassman, The Effects of Nuclear Weapons, 1962.

Now how in the world do nuclear weapons compare in any way to Jacob's
Ladders?

> The point is that "single events" can damage hearing and that "single
> events" might not sound as "loud" as they actually are, because of the
> limited response speed of the mechanics and neurons.

Opinion, than.  OK, thanks.