Re: CAD (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:04:37 -0600
From: Mark Broker <mbroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: CAD (fwd)

I think this is veering a little far OT....

[Yes, there has now officially been 'nuff said about hacking windows.
Back to HV!  SRR]

Hacking the Windows registry is simple even for a modestly intelligent beginner (my definition for myself when I started editing the registry).

1: Always back up the part of the registry you modify so that you can restore it if the modifications don't work.
2: Search is your friend.
3: The Windows Registry DOES have a specific and rational (some would argue) organization.
4: There are many fine websites that will explain all the gory details of the registry - a google search is a good beginning.

That said I absolutely do not recommend a novice/newbie attempt to directly modify the registry.

FWIW, I have verified that some time-limited programs do NOT change the registry wrt adding date information (I can provide details offlist for the curious).  As far as I can tell it is stored in a buried file somewhere on the hard drive, but I have never been "curious enough" to go hunting and lack the appropriate software to make such a search easy.

I am of the same mindset as Malcolm and Roy regarding software (except for MicroSoft products); I only verified the registry modification on a couple of time-limited programs out of geeky curiosity.

The registry CAN be deleted completely; and Windows can be installed fresh by either formatting the drive or selecting "fresh installation" when prompted while reinstalling Windows (it's the first or second installation dialog box IIR).

Regards,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group